• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement

End of fairy tale for The Road

This is a platform where we can debate local and international current affairs.

End of fairy tale for The Road

Postby maco » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:23 am

End of fairy tale for The Road,

The short-lived Mzansi Magic telenovela The Road flighted their final episode prematurely yesterday after the channel pulled the plug on it for poor ratings. Kgothatso Madisa and Emmanuel Tjiya speak to the leading lady and man, Nandi Mngoma and Solomon Sebothoma, and producer Kutlwano Ditsele.

This was Mngoma's first foray into acting as vengeful Zoe. She received negative reviews in the early days of the show, but had finally found her groove by the time the show ended.

"I had such a beautiful experience on The Road . I made a new family. This was a great chapter in my life, never to be forgotten.

"It's the reason why I am more than prepared for my next chapter, which I had to delay because of my shooting schedule on The Road. I've been fortunate enough to secure deals that will allow me to travel for my music.

"The Road helped prepare me in terms of my willingness to work hard and stretch myself. I am grateful to everyone I got the chance to work with, I was really lucky to be a part of such an amazing cast.

"I'm working with amazing people both here and abroad musically for what is going to be an inspiring project/album. We want people to relate to this young girl and her journey."

l Sebothoma was fresh from his e.tv drama Matatiele, when he jumped onto the role of Zakes with much passion, becoming an instant favourite and every girl's crush.

"It's with a heavy heart that the show ended like that. The cast and crew really worked hard at producing one of the most innovative and beautifully told stories on local TV. A lot of pride and commitment went into the making of The Road.

"I will always remember the fun times we had on set. I shared some great moments and memories with the likes of Lerato Mvelase, Nandi Mngoma, Sthandiwe Kgoroge and Blessing Xaba. I also got to share some scenes with legends like Darlington Michaels and Nandi Nyembe.

"There were lots of goofy and playful selfies taken and good, old hard work in preparation for our scenes. There was great camaraderie of a team pulling together.

"I will miss Zakes's gentle nature and silent strength. He was calm in his approach, naive and easily trusting, and look how Zoe played him?

"As for the future, I'm spending a lot more time paying attention to my books and studying towards my LLB through Unisa. I'm also involved in event management. There are plans under way for a return to TV. I have been blessed and I'm taking this time to reflect and recharge as I prepare for the next phase."

l Meanwhile, producer Ditsele is bemoaning the fact that the show was brief.

"We really loved the show and we are proud of it. We have managed to create some really incredible world and some great characters.

"I'm very sad of it's ending. It would have been fantastic to continue working on it, but I don't feel negative about it ending. The risks that we took and the world that we were able to create is a memory I will take with me [to the grave]. Recreating 1950s Sophiatown was magical. "We did The Road because we wanted to pioneer into something. If I were to say I'd do something differently I will be 'un-pioneering'. So I wouldn't do anything differently. There is a film project that we are working on and two TV series that I can't tell you about. And of course, Isibaya still continues."

User profile picture
maco

Advertisement

Return to News and Current Affairs

Login  •  Register

• Advertisement