• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Whats your take on African afros?

Showcase your beauty and fashion taste

Whats your take on African afros?

Postby nomsa » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:20 pm

What damaged a lot of people's hair is the fact that we were told our hair need fixing and it didn't ,no one understood it and hence everyone still has a perception that when you have natural hair you need to DO your hair. Whats your take on African afros?
Attachments
11103969_10204458753776583_1943463927_n.jpg
11103969_10204458753776583_1943463927_n.jpg (32.24 KiB) Viewed 4858 times
User profile picture
nomsa

Advertisement

Re: Whats your take on African afros?

Postby josie » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:21 pm

I have an afro myself...my reason for that was simply because I was tired of burning my scalp with relaxers and i just wanted to embrace my natural hair as it was...afros require alot of work and patience pheeww!but it can make for very beautiful hair therefore it does not need fixing and i love it
User profile picture
josie

Postby bantu » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:22 pm

Afros are time consuming and demand a lot yoh hai nie meer nie , no more...
User profile picture
bantu

Postby dineo » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:22 pm

I like both natural and afro. It is woman who makes the hair
User profile picture
dineo

Postby refiloe » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:22 pm

I love natural hair and curly tops. So pretty.
User profile picture
refiloe

Postby nomsa » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:23 pm

bantu wrote:Afros are time consuming and demand a lot yoh hai nie meer nie , no more...

I think its because the world taught us our hair is wrong and needs to be fixed I dont think its time consuming we were never taught how to care for it .We only know how to make it what its not hence it breaks and becomes brittle.
User profile picture
nomsa

Postby elizabeth » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:25 pm

Beauty is diverse - but media and beauty pageants only push one standard of beauty though which remains a more 'Euro' standard aka straight hair. Now that is fine and well but A sister like Lupita is no less gorgeous . This was my point in another post , kindly note that a black woman's hair is highly politised ( and yes it should not matter ) but for the longest time , the media has given a strong potrayal that kroes/ kinky curly is not attractive, it's not considered 'neat' and do many women of color straighten ( harmful chemicals often linked to cancer) or use hair extensions to assimilate in society . Nothing wrong with straightening, or extensions ( I dabble in both at times) but the issue becomes when you told that is the only time you look great. We know that is rubbish- show me curly or kinky tresses and both are beautiful but you won't see that in pageants. Kroes , afro textured hare is viewed as negative . I have a puerto rican friend who religiously straightens her hair every six weeks cause she doesn't wanna look like a 'runaway african slave'. Same sentiments run in the 'colored' and black communities. Gladde hare is better than kroeskoppe . So it does matter than natural reprentation increases in media - cause just as all shades are beautiful so are sll textures hollywood is changing, I see more ads and movies with black women rocking their own natural kinks. The fact alone that weave freee Lupita was chosen as People magazine's most beautiful woman last year was shattering ceilings. But we still have strides to go when the fashion police called Solange a poodle and called another actress a homeless rasta for wearing locks.
User profile picture
elizabeth

Postby teboho » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:25 pm

We need to accept and embrace our own kind....our nature is who we are to the world.....malcolm x had this to say..."who taught you to hate yourself"....Who taught you to hate the texture of your hair? Who taught you to hate the color of your skin? To such extent you bleach, to get like the white man. Who taught you to hate the shape of your nose and the shape of your lips? Who taught you to hate yourself from the top of your head to the soles of your feet? Who taught you to hate your own kind? Who taught you to hate the race that you belong to so much so that you don't want to be around each other?
User profile picture
teboho

Postby thando » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:26 pm

I believe that all women make themselves beautiful-and that they want to feel beautiful. That is being woman. All races of women beautify themselves in one way or another-changes to hairstyle, cutting it short, shaving it all off, putting in extensions, curling or straightening it. All women should be free to do whatever they want to do to feel and look good to themselves. That has nothing to do with self hate. It is just not scientific to say you hate yourself, that is why you do something to your looks. Why does the same saying not go for white women? They also make profound changes to their looks. It sounds paternalistic to me. Women are free to do. I still maintain: it is the woman that makes her looks-and is confident in the way she carries herself.
User profile picture
thando

Postby portia » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:26 pm

that old adage that beauty comes from within is still very true. Having a bug ugly personality will cancel out any amount of money and effort on the outside.
User profile picture
portia

Postby sihle » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:27 pm

A well cared for, clean afro can look better than any bleached, straightened hairstyle. Same goes for older people dying away their grey hair - just rock it!
User profile picture
sihle

Advertisement

Postby nomsa » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:28 pm

Thanks everyone I just went back being natural two years ago and people always ask me when am I doing my hair.
Attachments
11106294_10204462727475923_426095709_n.jpg
11106294_10204462727475923_426095709_n.jpg (34.61 KiB) Viewed 4857 times
User profile picture
nomsa

Postby thabisile » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:29 pm

I believe the hair industry is quite big. Very lucrative businesses out their who count on women to feel their natural hair is not attractive enough and they need to "do" something about it.
User profile picture
thabisile

Postby elizabeth » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:30 pm

A shaved head is also very nice
User profile picture
elizabeth

Postby prudence » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:30 pm

I like mine relaxed,,its easier to comb and brush it.
User profile picture
prudence

Postby nomsa » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:31 pm

celebrate your hair, do not try to be someone else
Attachments
18403_10204465789392469_1570068307849325532_n.jpg
18403_10204465789392469_1570068307849325532_n.jpg (40.29 KiB) Viewed 4857 times
User profile picture
nomsa

Return to Fashion and Beauty

Login  •  Register